We are only at the very beginning of this project, but I have already been asked the question so many times….why? Why bother building? Just buy a house.
Everyone says that building a house is one of the most stressful things you can do. I am relishing the challenge. But, with any stressful activity, I do believe you should always know the answer to the question of ‘Why?’. This will be what keeps me going when I do get stressed or frustrated. So my main reasons are:
- Tradition – it’s the old school way in Cyprus. Parents have a house and their kids build near, around, on top; wherever there is space. Several of my cousins and friends have done this and I love it. I love family being close by, whilst also having space. To me that is perfect;
- EXACTLY what I want – buying a ready built house means you make compromises and put up with things. If we design this house ourselves we won’t have this and will love every inch of the place (in theory!);
- More bang for your buck – in the largest majority of cases, it is cheaper to build than buy. This is further exaggerated by the fact we didn’t have to pay for the land to start with;
- Life changing – we currently live in London UK, I am well entrenched in the rat race and I really want to get out! Building this dream is not only about building a house, but building a new business and way of life (as the next part of my dream is to then develop the land into a vineyard with winery);
- Safety – life in London is not as it was when I was growing up. I don’t want to bring children up here any more. Cyprus is a much better place to bring up a family.
So there is my list. Why I want to start this never ending project!
I want to build a house, correction, a home. I want to build a business to help us earn a living whilst utilising the land available. I want to change our lives for the better.